This book discusses how the colonial presence influenced the status of Indian Muslim women in the United Provinces particularly after 1857. The issued explored in the book are :
- Educational status of Muslim women and to what extent Western thought influenced the curriculum of women’s education system.
- Perceptions of Western writers towards Indian Muslim women.
- How and why is 1857 a turning point for gender debates on Muslim women in India.
- Locating different shades of Muslim women’s lives in the emerging hierarchical social order.
- How does caste system influence their mobility? The purpose here is to break established stereotypes about Muslim women and society.